SentryOne 2018: The Year in Review
Published On: December 11, 2018
Categories: SentryOne 0
While on a conference call this week, one of my colleagues said “Wow, Christmas is in two weeks! Where did this year go?” I think we all find ourselves thinking and saying something similar each December, amazed that it’s almost the end of the year and reflecting on what has happened since it began.
For the SentryOne team, 2018 has burned hot and fast, and it feels as if we have reached December faster than ever because of the amount of growth and change we have experienced in a relatively short period of time. To put that statement in perspective, SentryOne has grown in every direction—by 40-50% or more in many cases!
We increased the size of our team, the number and size of offices, our product portfolio, the countries we serve, the size of our customer base, and our revenue. Let's dive into each of these areas in a bit more detail.
- Pragmatic Works Software (PWS)—A significant contributor to our growth and change in 2018 was our acquisition of PWS in April. The addition of PWS doubled the size of our product portfolio and enables SentryOne to help data pros build, test, document, and monitor SQL Server, Azure SQL Database, and the Microsoft Data Platform.
- The SentryOne team—Our overall team grew by almost 50% this year. We have added to nearly every department to ensure we continue to offer the best products and the best support in the industry.
- SentryOne office locations—In January 2018, SentryOne had just one office, located in Huntersville, North Carolina. Today, we serve our customers and partners from four SentryOne offices: Charlotte, NC, Jacksonville, FL, Salem, NH, and Dublin, Ireland. In addition, our headquarters transitioned from Huntersville to the Lower South (LoSo) district of Charlotte in October. That is a lot of new offices in one year!
- EMEA expansion—In May, we opened an international office in Dublin so that we could better support the EMEA Microsoft Data Platform community and better engage with the Microsoft Inside Sales team located in Dublin.
- Customers and revenue—Through acquisition and explosive market expansion, our customer base more than doubled, and our revenue has seen similar growth. And none of this would have been possible without the support of our valued customers, partners, and the Microsoft Data Platform community.
Any way you slice it, 2018 was an amazing year for the SentryOne team. Of course, such significant growth doesn't necessarily make for the easiest days and weeks, but our phenomenal team has held steady during the ups and downs and endless cycles of activity that have led us all to say things like “Wow, Christmas is in two weeks! Where did this year go?”
Douglas McDowell is the SolarWinds Database GM. His primary focus is to advise the leadership team and Board of Directors in planning, research, business strategy, and analytics to ensure alignment with our largest partners, including Microsoft.